European theaters mostly wait-and-see on Domingo accusations

México Noticias Noticias

European theaters mostly wait-and-see on Domingo accusations
México Últimas Noticias,México Titulares
  • 📰 AP
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 81 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 36%
  • Publisher: 51%

Two U.S. performances by famed tenor Placido Domingo were immediately canceled following sexual harassment allegations. But European opera houses are taking stances ranging from supportive to wait-and-see.

FILE - In this Aug. 26, 2014, file photo, Placido Domingo speaks at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. On Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, the LA Opera said it will hire outside counsel to investigate allegations of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior by the opera legend. Domingo has denied the accusations, but noted: "Still, it is painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable.

In Europe, there were no immediate cancellations of the 78-year-old Domingo’s performances and even some words of support for the star. Opera world officials noted that no charges had been brought against Domingo and no formal judicial investigations were underway that might provide legal underpinning to cancel any contractual obligations.

“Some attitudes, seen in hindsight, risk being misunderstood,” cultural journalist Leonetta Bentivoglio wrote Wednesday in the Italian newspaper La Repubblica. “That he was a Don Juan was something everyone knew, and in the promiscuous theater world he is not alone. We must add that his charm has always attracted a crowd of women, and often it was he who had to defend himself.”

Salzburg Festival president Helga Rabl-Stadler, who said she has known Domingo for 25 years and has long appreciated both his “artistic competence” and “appreciative treatment of all festival employees,” said “it would be factually wrong and morally irresponsible to make irreversible judgments at this point.”

Domingo did not respond to detailed questions from the AP about specific incidents, but issued a statement calling the allegations “deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate.” Three Spanish sopranos have come to his defense, saying that they have never experienced the sort of behavior described in the AP story, which included accusations that he put his hand down one woman’s skirt and forced wet kisses on three others. All of the allegations were related to incidents in the United States, spanning two decades beginning in the late 1980s.

Hemos resumido esta noticia para que puedas leerla rápidamente. Si estás interesado en la noticia, puedes leer el texto completo aquí. Leer más:

AP /  🏆 728. in US

México Últimas Noticias, México Titulares

Similar News:También puedes leer noticias similares a ésta que hemos recopilado de otras fuentes de noticias.

LA Opera to investigate sexual misconduct accusations against Placido DomingoLA Opera to investigate sexual misconduct accusations against Placido DomingoThe Los Angeles Opera said on Tuesday it will investigate accusations of sexual ...
Leer más »

10 Things to Know for Today10 Things to Know for TodayAmong 10ThingstoKnow: LA Opera to investigate Placido Domingo over accusations; Trump official: Statue of Liberty poem refers to Europeans; Flights restart at Hong Kong airport as protesters apologize.
Leer más »

Plácido Domingo, a sexual harassment investigation and the threat to his 60-year legacyPlácido Domingo, a sexual harassment investigation and the threat to his 60-year legacyEight singers and one dancer have told the Associated Press they were sexually harassed by opera superstar Plácido Domingo in the 1980s, ’90s and early 2000s. The new allegations are threatening to tarnish his gilded legacy.
Leer más »

Former Three Tenors opera star Placido Domingo in sexual harassment stormFormer Three Tenors opera star Placido Domingo in sexual harassment stormSpanish tenor Placido Domingo denies the accusations from eight singers and a dancer who alleged they were sexually harassed by him
Leer más »

The Latest: San Francisco Opera cancels Domingo concertThe Latest: San Francisco Opera cancels Domingo concertThe Latest on sexual harassment accusations against opera legend Placido Domingo (all times EDT): 5 p.m. The San Francisco Opera says it is canceling an October concert featuring...
Leer más »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 01:50:54