'Dynamic and dangerous': Australia braces for another day of wildfires as temperatures flare
SYDNEY - Australian authorities urged nearly a quarter of a million people to evacuate their homes on Friday and prepared military backup as soaring temperatures and erratic winds were expected to fan deadly bushfires across the east coast.
Emergency alert text messages had been sent to 240,000 people in Victoria state alone, telling them to leave, Crisp said. People in high-risk regions in New South Wales and South Australia states were also urged to think about leaving, but authorities had not provided numbers. Prime Minister Scott Morrison said he had given instructions to the military so “that they are to stand ready to move and support immediately” as firefighters battle 150 blazes across the country.See more stories
* Victoria state had 16 fires, two of which were so severe that evacuation orders have been issued. One more fire was at an emergency level. * NSW authorities said just shy of 2,000 homes have been destroyed in the state, half of those in the past 10 days. * Ecologists at the University of Sydney have estimated 1 billion animals have been killed or injured in the bushfires, potentially destroying ecosystems.
México Últimas Noticias, México Titulares
Similar News:También puedes leer noticias similares a ésta que hemos recopilado de otras fuentes de noticias.
Australian leader urges tourists not be deterred by bushfires crisisAustralian Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged foreign tourists not to be deterr...
Leer más »
Australians on southeast coast urged to flee as fire risk escalatesResidents in the path of wildfires razing southeast Australia were urged to evacuate on Thursday if they don’t intend to defend their homes, as hot and windy conditions are forecast to escalate the danger over the next two days.
Leer más »
Brave as lions: Zoo heroics save animals from Australia's raging firesWhen everyone else in the Australian town of Mogo fled the flames that tore thro...
Leer más »
Australians on SE coast urged to flee as fire risk escalatesResidents in the path of wildfires razing southeast Australia are urged to evacuate if they don’t intend to defend their homes as hot and windy conditions are forecast to escalate the danger over the next two days.
Leer más »
Australian Billionaire Andrew Forrest Pledges $48 Million For Bushfire RecoveryMining billionaire Forrest, regarded as Australia's biggest philanthropist, is among the wealthiest Australian business figures to have publicly donated to help tackle the devastating fires.
Leer más »
Lizzo Puts Australian Tour On Hold To Help Bushfire VictimsWhile in the middle of her Australian tour, Lizzo hit 'pause' to help brushfire victims personally through Foodbank Australia.
Leer más »