Federal officials in San Diego haven't yet sent asylum seekers back, but they began enrolling people apprehended by Border Patrol into Migrant Protection Protocols.
San Diego on Monday became the second U.S. border city where federal officials restarted the “Remain in Mexico” program.
“We are under this injunction to comply in good faith with the court order,” said an administration official speaking on background during a press call Monday. “As we do so, we are very committed to ensuring that we do so in ways that address to the greatest degree possible the humanitarian concerns that were raised by the prior implementation.”
Seen from a bridge overlooking the port of entry where Remain in Mexico returns are likely to happen, people go about their lives in a migrant camp at Tijuana’s Chaparral Plaza. Fearing for their lives, Mexicans fled a gang-ruled town. Now they seek political asylum in California When asked about this issue in a press call on Monday, administration officials said that asylum seekers in the program can go to ports of entry or reach out to U.S. officials via email if they feel they’ve been incorrectly placed into the program or if their situations have changed.
Meanwhile, many asylum seekers in a tent camp near the San Ysidro Port of Entry have been asking how to get enrolled into the program.
México Últimas Noticias, México Titulares
Similar News:También puedes leer noticias similares a ésta que hemos recopilado de otras fuentes de noticias.
A man died after being pushed into an oncoming train in San DiegoA man died after he was pushed into an oncoming train in an unprovoked attack on New Year's Day in San Diego, police said.
Leer más »
San Diego police seek witnesses to suspected hate crime attack that left elderly Laotian man hurtSan Diego police are asking the public to help identify a man suspected of seriously injuring an 81-year-old Laotian man in an attack last month that is being investigated as a hate crime.
Leer más »
San Diego police seek witnesses to suspected hate crime attack that injured elderly Laotian manThe assault happened on Dec. 17 near Porter North Elementary School in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.
Leer más »
For subscribers: San Diego County created a COVID-19 warning system. Is it paying attention to the danger signs?El gobierno dice que las cosas han cambiado desde que se creó el sistema de activación en 2020.
Leer más »
For subscribers: What are San Diego students learning about in ethnic studies? Racism, bias, privilegeSan Diego Unified has been teaching ethnic studies for 14 years; now the state will require it for graduation.
Leer más »
Here's what San Francisco looked like 100 years agoYou can still spot a shipwreck off San Francisco that happened 100 years ago.
Leer más »